Selling management on Cygwin

Chap Harrison clh@pobox.com
Tue May 12 20:27:00 GMT 2009

Hi,
First time post.  Believe I have read and carried out all specified
"do this before posting" guidelines.

Ok.

I work for a 5-person company whose IT infrastructure is exclusively
Windows Server-based, and whose mindset is very narrowly
Microsoftian.  I prefer *nix.  Four months ago I quietly created a
Windows Server 2003 machine running in a VM on a test box, installed
Cygwin, and have been successfully writing & running tools (mostly
Perl) all this time.

Now I want to persuade management to let me install Cygwin directly on
the "main" Server 2003 box.  This is not only for better interactive
performance (I work remotely and need to go through one extra screen-
scraper layer to get to my current Cygwin command line), but also to
access some directories on the "main" box that aren't being shared
and, consequently, can't be accessed from my current Cygwin.

I expect to be met with plenty of FUD.  I honestly don't know what
kind of concerns & arguments will be raised, but I feel certain they
will be "garden variety".  However, since I'm not a management or IT
type, nor a Windows expert, nor a Cygwin expert, I am unprepared to
argue the case.

If someone could help, perhaps by briefly explaining what it is
they're worried about, and why they needn't be, I would greatly
appreciate it.  Alternately, a link to an article would be nice (I
haven't found any so far).

In some ways this is more of an issue about open source software in
general, but I'm sure there will be questions specifically about
Cygwin and the extent to which it "touches" Windows OS innards.  Any
guidance would be helpful!

Thanks,
Chap Harrison