[1.7] Proposal: the filename encoding in C locale uses UTF-8 instead of SO/UTF-8

Mark J. Reed markjreed@gmail.com
Tue May 12 19:53:00 GMT 2009

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 3:22 PM, Corinna Vinschen

> http://cygwin.com/1.7/cygwin-ug-net/using-specialnames.html#pathnames-unusual

OK, got it.  So Mr. Iwamuro's proposal is that Cygwin ignore the
locale setting, and just automatically convert the Windows UTF-16
filenames to UTF-8 (and back) no matter what.

That seems rife with possible confusion, though. If I have my codepage
set to ISO-2022 and paste in a filename, I expect it to be interpreted
as ISO-2022, not as UTF-8 (which will probably fail with an invalid
encoding sequence).

OTOH, the SO/UTF-8 hack would seem to bode ill for the portability of,
say, tar archives created under Cygwin.

--
Mark J. Reed <markjreed@gmail.com>