Update: rsh/rlogin on Cygwin 1.7/inetutils-1.5-6

Georg Nikodym georgn@bitmover.com
Mon May 11 18:19:00 GMT 2009

So turns out that I'm not a complete luser.  The steps I followed (and
enumerated in a previous email) actually did work...  sort of.

There seems to be some issue(s) with localhost / whatever is providing
the loopback network.

	rsh hostname / rsh hostname command

both seem to work just fine (assuming the correct entry in .rhosts)

	rsh localhost

on my Vista x64 vmware vm works but I cannot craft an rhosts entry to
allow me to rlogin without a passwd.
on an XP x64 machine (standalone) I just get "rlogind: Permission
denied"

	rsh localhost cmd

I get "Host address mismatch for $FDQN" regardless of the platform.

So I think this changes the question from "what are the steps
necessary to set up inetutils correctly" to "how do I configure things
such that loopback/127.0.0.1 works as it does on on a *nix machine?"

On the Vista machine, the Windows ping insists on using the IPv6
localhost address ::1  Cygwin ping does not.  Wondering if IPv6 is
part of my problem.

Any hints welcome.

-g