cygwin-1.7beta -- iu-config -- what is the right way?

Georg Nikodym georgn@bitmover.com
Tue May 5 15:43:00 GMT 2009

My goal is to able to:

	rsh localhost

or

	rsh localhost ls

As you all know, this can be made to work just fine on 32-bit Windows
variants.

Yes, I know all about ssh.  Not an option for various reasons out of
my control.

With the cygwin-1.7 beta, I read that progress has been made in making
this possible on 64-bit variants.  I have been beating my head against
the wall long enough that I don't feel foolish asking for help.  The
platforms I'm interested in are Windows XP x64, Vista x64, and Windows
Server 2008 x64.

Here are the steps that I've used:

0.1. Fresh Windows install in a VM with all updates.
0.2. VM Snapshot
0.3. Disable the firewall

1. Install cygwin-1.7 (there is no 1.5)
2. Open cygwin window (as administrator)
3. iu-config

answer the questions, allow the creation of the cyg_server privileged
user.

4. Edit the inetd.conf file to uncomment the login and shell lines.

5. cygrunsrv -S inetd

6.  Give it a try:

	georgn@gn-vista64-vm ~
	$ rsh localhost
	rlogind: Permission denied.

	georgn@gn-vista64-vm ~
	$ rsh localhost ls
	Host address mismatch for gn-vista64-vm.bitmover.com

So these steps fail on all three of my target platforms.  In the same
way, so clearly the steps are consistently wrong.

I did have something working earlier on an xp x64 machine briefly but
after a reboot it reverted to the above behaviour :-(

I have read many emails, web pages about the difficulties mapping UNIX
setuid to the Windows (in)security model which have led me to try
random things but doing these things in ignorance doesn't seem to be
leading anywhere.

So I have to humbly ask, which FM did I forget to read?  Or is there
some way to debug my way to an answer?

-g