gcc4: missing atomic builtins?

Sun Mar 29 17:50:00 GMT 2009

Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:

> Building djvulibre-3.5.21 with gcc4, while linking libdjvulibre:
>
> .libs/atomic.o:atomic.cpp:(.text+0x3b): undefined reference to
> `___sync_bool_compare_and_swap_4'
> .libs/atomic.o:atomic.cpp:(.text+0x65): undefined reference to
> `___sync_add_and_fetch_4'
>
> Some googling shows that the culprit *may be* gcc4:
>
> http://sourceware.org/ml/crossgcc/2008-06/msg00022.html
>
> Any ideas?

  Well, I guess the question is, what's the minimum level of CPU we want to
support, and I can configure the next version --with-arch that level, and as
long as it's >=486 we'll be ok.  I think the question is mainly "686, or is
there any reason to have 586 as the minimum supported CPU"?

  (Not that < [56]86 users couldn't add the -march= flag to their builds, but
this will determine what minimum level of cpu all the default code is
generated for, and as most packages will be built with the default, we run the
risk of having things in the distro that they can't install and run
successfully from binaries.)

    cheers,
      DaveK