Hopefully new details on the rsync crash issue

Wed Mar 25 17:55:00 GMT 2009

Jon Sjöstedt wrote:
> Hello all!
>
> As many others, I also have problems using rsync in cygwin. I hope
> adding my case can help some expert  find the source problem. If more
> tests are desired, I will conduct them.
>
> Setup:
> I have an OpenBSD4.4-box with rsync 3.0.3. rsync is running in daemon
> mode and is started by inetd. I have defined four simple sections in
> rsyncd.conf (only name and comment) that are readonly (that is, I wish
> to copy FROM the daemon-box TO a client-box).
>
> In the other corner: XP Pro SP3 with latest cygwin-components. On this
> machine, I run the cygwin-rsync from a windows batch-file. I have
> tried both using a ssh tunnel and running rsync "naked". I access the
> rsync resources simplest possible like rsync.exe -r
> host::rsyncnode/somefile /cygdrive/driveletter/path. The XP-box is
> otherwise stable.
>
> These boxes are alone on a 100Mb local network that work very well
> with SAMBA, ssh, web and other applications.
>
> Problem:
> After some time the rsync client hangs the XP-box. The hang is solid
> and neither Ctrl-Alt-Delete, NumLock or the Mouse pointer works. A
> cold boot is requied.

This to me sounds more like a hardware/driver problem or O/S bug.  If
the system is truly hung (and not just extremely busy), then I believe
you've tickled this bug/problem using Cygwin but Cygwin's involvement
is coincidental since all of Cygwin operates in user space.

Holliston, MA 01746