Keeping /etc/{group,passwd} intentionally out of date?

Darren Pilgrim pilgrimd@cat.pdx.edu
Tue Mar 24 19:28:00 GMT 2009

We have cygwin installed in a lab with a large number of domain groups
and users.  Keeping the /etc/group and /etc/passwd files up to date is
impractical due to the rate of account turn-over.  Cygwin Bash Shell has
been giving us the error messages produced from /etc/profile nagging us
to run mkgroup and mkpasswd.

Is there anything that will for sure break if our domain user/group
information isn't kept current in those files?  Same question but for
local group/user information?  Is the effect like that in other unix
environments--cosmetic and you're limited to specifying numeric IDs?  I
can't find anything obvious and non-cosmetic that would break if these
files didn't contain the user's information.  Can I just rip out the
checks and be done with it?