How can I ssh to a Windows box?

Michael Hennebry hennebry@web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu
Mon Mar 9 22:10:00 GMT 2009

On Mon, 9 Mar 2009, Michael Hennebry wrote:
> I've been trying to ssh to my Windows XP box for some time.
> At one time I ran something with a name like ssh-system-config.
> I told it to add sshd as a service.
> sshd starts at boot.
> I've told Windows that sshd is a good guy.
> When I hit sshd with a SIGHUP,
> Windows told me sshd was trying to do something dangerous.
> I told Windows to let it.
> I cannot ssh to my Windows box.
> Connection timed out.
> I can ssh within my Windows box using its IP address, 134....
> I can ssh to a neighbor running a Mandriva live CD, also a 134....
> I suspect some flag in Windows XP that I haven't found.
> Any suggestions?

I've discovered that if I kill the demon,
I still get timeout from the outside,
but connection refused locally.

I haven't been able to restart the demon:
/var/empty must be owned by root and not group or world-writeable.

Also, /etc/services is a broken symbolic link.

--
Michael   hennebry@web.cs.ndsu.NoDak.edu
"Pessimist: The glass is half empty.