How can I assign a hotkey to run a cygwin/bash script?

Brian Mathis brian.mathis@gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 18:29:00 GMT 2009

On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 12:58 PM, Spiro Trikaliotis
<an-cygwin@spiro.trikaliotis.net> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> * On Fri, Mar 06, 2009 at 12:07:37PM -0500 Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E] wrote:
>
>> I looked at the properties of shortcuts on my Desktop, in the Start Menu,
>> and in a directory outside of "C:\Documents and Settings" (the equivalent
>> of "c:\home\wrk").  In none was the option to set a hotkey grayed out.
>
> They do not need to be grayed out: You can set these option.
> Unfortunately, they do not have any effect. This is something different.
>
>>                                                        I would think that
>> Windows keeps a table of hotkeys and shortcuts (not targets) and it looks
>> for the shortcut itself when you hit the hotkey so the shortcut's
>> contents can be read.
>
> Well, we can think about many things: However, this is not the way it
> works on Windows, obviously.

Windows keeps a systemwide table of hotkeys, and when one is pressed
Windows runs whatever is in the table as the target.  If the target is
a shortcut, it opens the shortcut.  If it's a document, it opens the
document.  Whatever the type of the file is that the target is
pointing to, Windows will execute it as if you had double-clicked on
the file.  The filetype must have a program associated with it in
order for it to launch correctly.

Even though there is a field in the shortcut property dialog box for
hot key, it is not tied to the shortcut at all.  When you set the
hotkey in a shortcut, it updates the systemwide table and that's it.