rsync hanging on Access MDB file

Des Dougan des@douganconsulting.com
Wed Mar 4 05:53:00 GMT 2009

Thanks for al the feedback. It sounds like an issue with the
application owning the files - the client told me today that they are
getting similar messages even though no users are connected.

Regards,

Des

On 3 Mar 2009, at 00:36, Spiro Trikaliotis wrote:

> Hello Des,
>
> * On Mon, Mar 02, 2009 at 11:41:05PM -0800 Des Dougan wrote:
>
>> rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (449058 bytes received so far)
>> [receiver]
>> rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at
>> io.c(635)
>> [receiver=3.0.2]
>> rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (237 bytes received so far)
>> [generator]
>> rsync error: unexplained error (code 255) at io.c(635)
>> [generator=3.0.2]
>>
>> The error occurs each time on the same Access database file (part
>> of the
>> application suite the server was installed for).
>
> I know this behaviour for other file types: It happens if these files
> are either hold open (Outlook .pst files come to mind), or even
> modified
> while rsync is in progress.
>
> Thus, can you really rule out that noone else is accessing this file
> while rsync is taking place? My experience with Access is rather old
> (Access 1.1 and 2.0, some 15 years ago), but for these ancient
> versions,
> every time someone accesses this database, he opens the .mdb file
> himself in a shared manner. Thus, even if nothing is running on the
> server, there might be some remote user that is still accessing the
> DB.
>
> Regards,
> Spiro.
>
> --
> Spiro R. Trikaliotis                              http://opencbm.sf.net/
> http://www.trikaliotis.net/                     http://www.viceteam.org/
>
> --

Des Dougan, Principal
Dougan Consulting Group Inc.

Office:		604-628-5434
Cell:   	604-866-2848
Email:  	des at DouganConsulting dot com

         www.DouganConsulting.com

Peace of Mind, One Computer at a Time.