Possible Bug or limitation in Cygwin 1.7 and Rsync and file number limit

Lists lists@trcintl.com
Sat Jun 27 18:30:00 GMT 2009

> On Jun 19 15:55, Lists wrote:
>> <snip>
>>> Can you upgrade to the latest Cygwin 1.7 package and try again.  From
>>> your
>>> cygcheck output, it looks like things are not correct but this may be
>>> just
>>> a problem with an old cygcheck that doesn't know how to find the
>>> implicit
>>> mounts.  If the issue is still the same, resending the output of the new
>>> cygcheck would be helpful.
>>
>> I just downloaded the newest version of cygwin 1.7 as of 6-19-09 at
>> approximately 3:30 CST and had the exact same results.  Please find the
>> new cygcheck.out file attached.  You mentioned above that their might be
>> a problem with the mounts.  Not sure if it helps to know this, but I can
>> successfully use rsync to copy many gigabytes of files.  It just hangs
>> when there are thousands of files in a single directory (9,000 seems to
>> always do it.).  Also note that this cygcheck was done on a different
>> computer than the first just to make sure this isn't computer specific.
>> Again, I have tried it on several.
>
> Works fine for me under the latest Cygwin 1.7.0-50 using your perl
> script and your rsync options.  I tend to agree to Larry's assumption
> that some 3PP is interferring.
>

> Corinna

Sorry to just now be replying but I have been out of the country.  I tried
the same procedure on yet another computer.  I actually got it to run one
time without a problem.  I then deleted the copied files and repeated the
procedure and got the same problem again.

I am totally convienced there is a problem here.  One of the machines I have
been working on is a "clean" machine, meaning that it has no other software
on it other than the OS and this software.  I keep a machine around like
this for just such purposes.  After using it for a while, I reload it.  By
the way, some of the machines I have tried are not even on the same network.

So, I have tried this on at least 10 machines now and all exhibit the same
behavior.  I could attach another output from  but they all look pretty much
like the previous ones I attached.

Can anyone else try this and confirm the problem?  If it works, I suspect if
you try it again a time or two, you too will see the problem.  Before trying
it again, you need to make sure and delete the files from the destination
directory.

Thank you.

- Kyle