Problem with displaying ASCII table in mintty

Mark Harig idirectscm@aim.com
Fri Jun 26 15:20:00 GMT 2009

> > With this configuration, the upper 128 entries to the ASCII
> > table are displayed as follows (the #'s are replacements for
> > the gray box character that is displayed):
>
> That's because because bytes from 0x80 to 0xFF by themselves are
> invalid in UTF-8. Those codepoints need to be encoded as two-byte
> sequences. I'd suspect /bin/ascii isn't designed for that.

OK.  From what you have written, it appears that the defect
is in /usr/bin/ascii (cygutils) in that it does not support UTF-8.
Either that will need to be fixed or the documentation for
the tool could list/describe the problem so that other users
are told that it is known.

> > In addition,
> > many entries are displayed in the wrong location (some rows are out
> > of order).
>
> That's because some of the C1 control characters are interpreted
> specially, in particular CSI and OSC. It's the same if you try it in
> xterm.
>
> You can get most of the printable characters in the C1 range by
> switching to Windows codepage 1252. (Well, you could anyway if it
> wasn't for a rather bad bug in mintty-0.4.0 and 0.4.1 that means that
> ISO-8859-1 is used no matter your codepage setting. That's fixed on
> the 0.4 SVN branch.)

OK.  Users can display the upper 128 entries in 'rxvt' so there is
a work-around in a Cygwin environment.  (In 'rxvt', LC_CTYPE
should not be set to UTF-8.  AFAIK, UTF-8 is not supported
in cygwin's rxvt.)