Problem with mintty-0.4.1-1 and orpie

Mark Harig idirectscm@aim.com
Fri Jun 26 01:39:00 GMT 2009

Thu, 25 Jun 2009 20:25:09 +0100 Andy Kope wrote:

> > There is no documented way in mintty to change the TERM environment before
> > the shell is started.
>
> There's a bit in the TIPS section of the manual on how to set any
> environment variable using the shell's -c option, e.g.:
>
> mintty sh -c "TERM=xterm-256color emacs"

OK.  When I wrote my comments, I had been thinking about
the shell (which ever one the user chooses) itself and had
not thought of using 'sh -c' on it.  The following works:

    mintty sh -c "FOO=baz  /bin/bash --norc --noprofile"

bash-3.2$ echo $FOO
baz

However, with this approach there is this side effect
that users should probably be aware of:

bash-3.2$ echo $SHLVL
2

> From the 0.4.0 release announcement:
>
> - MinTTY now has its own identity, instead of pretending to be an old
> xterm. The ^E answerback string is "mintty", the ^[[c primary device
> attribute command reports a vt100, and the ^[[>c secondary DA command
> reports terminal type 77 (ASCII 'M') and version 400. The TERM
> variable remains set to "xterm" though, to avoid termcap/terminfo trouble

I could not find this description in the manual page for mintty
or in /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/mintty-0.4.1.README.  I assume
that you will add this information to the documentation when
you want users to be able to make use of it.