Slow/sluggish response ("system" task at 50%)

Edward Lam edward@sidefx.com
Thu Jun 25 06:54:00 GMT 2009

On Wed, June 24, 2009 17:29, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
> Sure, we all know that Cygwin provides Linux emulation and suffers some
> overhead for it.  But timings from an individual machine can be
> misleading.
> Running this through multiple times for both Mingw and Cygwin 1.7 on my
> similarly equipped machine, I see Cygwin is somewhere between 1.7 and 2.25
> times slower.  Whether yours or my result is more typical, I can't say.
> But as you noted, neither data set provides much justification for the
> results reported.

Larry,

Are you on 32-bit Windows or 64-bit Windows? I've noted on this mailing
list earlier that there are large speed differences between the two. I
wonder which platform Gene is on. The tr test results are consistent on
Windows 64-bit for me.

I don't quite understand what MINGW32 is doing that makes it ~2 times
faster than cygwin.

-Edward