1.7 winbase.h (ilockcmpexch) compile error

Brian Ford Brian.Ford@FlightSafety.com
Wed Jun 24 23:15:00 GMT 2009

On Wed, 24 Jun 2009, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 07:40:39PM +0100, Dave Korn wrote:
> >Brian Ford wrote:
> >> g++ (GCC) 3.4.4 (cygming special, gdc 0.12, using dmd 0.125)
> >>
> >> winsup/cygwin/winbase.h: In
> >> member function `int pthread_mutex::_trylock(pthread*)':
> >> winsup/cygwin/winbase.h:59:
> >> warning: volatile register variables don't work as you might wish
> >> winsup/cygwin/winbase.h:63:
> >> error: can't find a register in class `AREG' while reloading `asm'
> >>
> >> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-patches/2009-q2/msg00072.html
> >
> >(Haven't used 3.x to build the DLL in ages myself.)
>
> I'm comfortable making gcc 4.x a requirement for building Cygwin and its
> utilities.

I'm prepared to work the problem as my time permits, but I assume you are
going to get far less help with Cygwin debugging/development if you
require a compiler that is not yet in the distribution.  (I know you think
you get next to no help now, and that this isn't a big issue for those
that do contribute, but it still doesn't seem like a very good idea.)

--
Brian Ford
Staff Realtime Software Engineer