Slow/sluggish response ("system" task at 50%)

Gene Smith gds@chartertn.net
Mon Jun 22 19:26:00 GMT 2009

Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
> Gene Smith wrote:
>> Over time my cygwin responsiveness seems to have diminished. When
>> compiling a project I can see that "system" task (not the system idle
>> task) is running a lot at 50%. I don't know if this is normal or not.
>> Possibly there is some corporate security s/w slowing it down now, I
>> don't know. Or would possibly a reinstall of cygwin help?
>>
>> I have tried closing all other windows, rebooting etc but it is always
>> slow. I don't notice a problem with other apps, just cygwin. Any other
>> suggestions on what this could be?
>
> Typically?  <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#BLODA> is always a good guess.
> If that's not it, I recommend reviewing the problem reporting guidelines
> at the link below:

I don't have any of the things specifically listed under BLODA.

>> Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html

I don't think it is a problem with cygwin itself. I was mainly curious
if anyone sees the "system" task running 50% when doing a gcc build
using Make (or similar intensive long term activity). I have weak XP
based laptop with no corporate security that runs cygwin fine compared
to my dual-core corporate desktop machine. I will check it on the laptop
but it is not with me now. Thanks for the reply.