Cygwin 1.7: Possible error in /etc/postinstall/rxvt.sh

Mark Harig idirectscm@aim.com
Sun Jun 21 05:02:00 GMT 2009

> That having been said...rxvt is stealing a march by assuming
> /etc/X11/app-defaults/ exists.  It's not clear -- if all the other
> packages did it the "rxvt way" -- WHO exactly should be responsible for
> creating the directory.

1. 'rxvt' is advertised as being available without X, so
     it cannot depend on X installation actions, can it?

2. What are packages' responsibilities are with respect
    to 'setup.exe'?  Naive users should be able to install
    the base set of packages without any errors appearing
    in /var/log/setup.log*, correct?  And they should be
    able immediately upon successfully installing the base
    set of packages, be able to un-install that set of packages
    without any errors appearing in /var/log/setup.log, I
    would expect.

3. If each of the packages was during installation to adopt the
    responsibility of:

         - Checking for every directory it needs
         - If the directory (tree) does not exist, create it
         - Populating the directories with the files it uses

    and then during un-installation, un-do what it did
    during installation:

        - Remove any (non-modified configuration) files
        - Remove any directory (trees) that it created
          during installation (using
          'rmdir --ignore-fail-on-non-empty')

     then 'setup.exe' ought to be able to install/uninstall
     reproducibly without errors.

> I'll enhance the rxvt postinstall script to handle that in a future release.

Thank you.