Cygwin 1.7: Uninstalling all (base) packages using setup-1.7.exe

Mark Harig idirectscm@aim.com
Sat Jun 20 20:21:00 GMT 2009

After installing all default, base packages in Cygwin,
I attempted to uninstall this base set by clicking on the
"cycle" button/icon of the 'All' category (while the setup
view for packages was set to 'Category') until 'Uninstall'
was displayed for 'All' and for all sub-categories.

When I clicked the 'Next' button, setup displays a window
with the following text:

> Warning! Unmet Dependencies Found
>    The following packages are required but have not been selected.

> Package: bash
>     Required by: _update-info-dir
>
> Package: cygwin
>     Required by: gcc4-runtime, libproj0, Numeric, _update-info-dir
>
> Package: python
>     Required by: Numeric
>
> Package: texinfo
>     Required by: _update-info-dir

Should not 'setup' be uninstalling '_update-info-dir' and the other
packages listed?

When I removed the check from the check-box labeled:

> "Install these packages to meet dependencies (RECOMMENDED)"

and click the 'Next' button, the following warning message is displayed:

> WARNING - Required Packages Not Selected
>
> If you continue without correcting the listed conflicts, your Cygwin
> installation will not function properly.  We strongly recommend
> that you let Setup install the listed packages.
>
> Are you sure you want to proceed?

After clicking on 'Yes', setup runs to completion and includes the
text "Installation Status: Uninstalls complete."