browse-url in emacs

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Fri Jun 19 09:39:00 GMT 2009

On 6/18/2009 4:58 PM, Marc Girod wrote:
> I did it from within emacs, which was maybe not bright.

It just means that you were trying to replace some in-use files.  This
should work in cygwin 1.7, though you might have to exit and restart
emacs to see the effect in some situations.

> Anyway, I got a couple of glitches in the postinstall:
>
> /etc/postinstall/emacs.sh: line 9: /usr/bin/update-desktop-database: No such
> file or directory
> /etc/postinstall/emacs.sh: line 10: /usr/bin/update-mime-database: No such
> file or directory

Harmless.

> (browse-url "file:///C:/cygwin/home/marc/public_html" nil)
>
> opened me an Explorer window, instead of the html page in Firefox...

I implemented browse-url using cygstart.  I think this means that it
should open whatever browser you would get by doing Start -> Run and
typing the URL.

> Thanks, and congratulations!

Thanks for testing.

Ken