FAQ 4.46, applications interfere with subversion or not?

David Rothenberger daveroth@acm.org
Fri Jun 5 15:11:00 GMT 2009

> On Jun  4 14:33, David Rothenberger wrote:
>>> The subversion code base has some hacks to retry various file
>>> operations to work around this issue. These hacks are enabled for a
>>> Windows build but not for Cygwin. I've attempted to port these hacks to
>>> Cygwin, but I may have missed an error code or three, thus not retrying
>>> some errors that should be retried.
>> I just uploaded a new version of Subversion for 1.5 with a fix for the
>> retry patch. I had missed a case when moving files.
>>
>>> Are you using Cygwin 1.5 or 1.7? I have disabled this hack in the 1.7
>>> build because I was hoping 1.7's more robust file renaming and deleting
>>> code would come to the rescue.
>> It turns out that these problems still occur with 1.7, although less
>> frequently, so I've also released new Subversion packages for 1.7 with
>> the updated retry patch added.
>
> Did we discuss this already?

No.

> Can you nail down the problem into a simple testcase?

I kinda doubt it. Subversion is using APR to move a file, and the error
occurs only sporadically if some other Windows program (e.g., virus
scanner) has the file that's being moved open. Do you expect that to
work with 1.7?

"Oh what wouldn't I give to be spat at in the face..."
                 -- a prisoner in "Life of Brian"