How to install-libLTLIBRARIES dll to bin?

Tue Jul 28 11:40:00 GMT 2009

Peter Rosin wrote:
> Automake does not "know" that it is a dll, it only sees a libtool
> library (.la), and I think "libtool --mode=install" is supposed to
> outsmart $libdir, by adding ../bin to the end of the directory
> part of the path (i.e. copy the dll to $DESTDIR)$(libdir)/../bin
> in this case).

  Yes, absolutely.  Grep for 'tdlname' in the libtool script.

> I.e. if the dll does not end up in $libdir/../bin you need to find
> out why, perhaps because the dll was linked with
> "libtool ... -module ..." (in which case the outsmarting code
> isn't activated and ../bin isn't added).

  The problem is that $libdir/../bin is very often not the same at all as $bindir.

  For example in GCC, libdir is $prefix/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-cygwin/4.3.2, and
the DLLs all get installed into $prefix/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-cygwin/bin, which
is not useful.

    cheers,
      DaveK