How to install-libLTLIBRARIES dll to bin?

Tue Jul 28 11:37:00 GMT 2009

Reini Urban wrote:
> I have an issue with properly autotooled + libtoolized shared libraries
> where the resulting dll should end up in bindir instead of libdir.

  Yeh, me too.  I have a horrible hack in the distro gcc that ascends
directories until it finds ...../lib/ and replaces that with ..../bin/

> Can we cygwin-spezialize that either in automake or libtool?
> The --mode=install $(DESTDIR)$(libdir) looks like a job for automake
> but only libtool knows about the .dll
> in contrast to the .dll.a .la and .a
> Maybe libtool --mode=install can outsmart $libdir in the dll case.
> Or better automake can check for the dll and install this into bindir.

  Only libtool knows about the DLL.  Only the Makefile knows about the setting
of $bindir from configure.  Currently however the Makefile only passes the
path to the output in $libdir.  Therefore ISTM that the only correct solution
is to add a --bindir= option to libtool and modify automake or libtoolise to
ensure it gets passed by the makefiles when they invoke libtool.

    cheers,
      DaveK