(g++) program crashes when I throw an exception in a separate thread

Joshua John Bialkowski jbialk@MIT.EDU
Thu Jul 23 04:55:00 GMT 2009

>> I'm using g++ (GCC) version 3.4.4 from the cygwin installer, and
>> I've run in to
>> this very confusing problem. I'm compiling with the -mno-cygwin option
> [...]
>> The problem I have is that when I launch a separate thread, and then
>> throw an
>> exception in that separate thread, my program will crash... even if I catch
>> that exception.
>
> Are you compiling with '-mthreads'?

I was not, in fact. Of course the first results in Google for "MinGW
'-mthreads'" is: "always use -mthreads when using threads under MinGW. I just
spent hours using gdb instead of -mthreads." I will give that a try and report
back to the list for the benefit of posterity.