Yesterday's CVS ci solved VBoxSharedFolderFS issues

Shaddy Baddah helium@shaddybaddah.name
Wed Jul 22 17:24:00 GMT 2009

 Hi,

I've been trying to work through a problem with running cygwin from a
VBoxSharedFolderFS (VirtualBox) folder mounted on my guest host. I've
tried to work through the problem on my own, as I would imagine that
VBoxSharedFolderFS support in cygwin is of almost zero importance.

However I thought it at least interesting to note that yesterday's CVS
checkins (just as a coincidence, I've been working through the problem
over the last couple of days) seem to have made this work a lot
better. Before these checkins, I could not start bash. It would take
up full utilisation of the CPU, and could only be killed through the
task manager. ash was working in its place, but behaviour of almost
all the tools was inconsistent.

The only thing obviously broken now are symlinks. I've done some
debugging and tracked it down to the fact that any call like this:

path.c:2254:      if (NT_SUCCESS (status)
path.c:2255:      && NT_SUCCESS (status
path.c:2256:             = NtQueryInformationFile (h, &io, &fbi, sizeof fbi,
path.c:2257:                           FileBasicInformation)))

will return STATUS_NOT_SUPPORTED. I will need to do some further
learning to understand if this is a show stopper for symlinks,
although any wisdom dispensed would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Shaddy