Trouble creating crontab

Paul Mead paul.d.mead@gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 13:36:00 GMT 2009

Will Parsons <oudeis@nodomain.invalid> writes:

>>>Sure.  I've been editing crontabs for years and have never once used
>>>crontab -e.  What I do:
>>>
>>>crontab -l > crontab.lst edit crontab.lst crontab crontab.lst
>>
>> I always just use the toggle switches on the front panel of my computer.
>>
>> Much easier.
>
> Was that really necessary?  The procedure I use may very well be easier
> than figuring out the right thing to do to invoke one's editor of choice
> with the -e option.  In my case, I prefer to explicitly to export the
> crontab table into a file so that I can put it into revision control.  At
> any rate, answering an explicit question from the OP hardly deserves a
> display of sarcasm.

I for one burst out laughing when I saw the response, no offense
taken. I'll use the advice to export the file for editing, thanks for
that. No need to worry about sarcasm on my account, the response kind of
summed up some of the more esoteric areas that I'm coming across with my
*nix / cygwin learning...