Running arm compiler on XP/Cygwin system

Mon Jul 13 09:19:00 GMT 2009

Jim Deas wrote:
> I am have a problem I think with path statements. I was able to install
> cygwin and recompile a complete set of arm tools using the new cygwin libs.
> Now my makefiles run in a cygwin window but fail in Windows CMD line and
> Eclipse.
>
> The make file below is very simple and works in a cygwin window. In a
> dos window the gcc command just returns after doing nothing. In Eclipse
> it returns error 1.
> The first item, srt.s appear to correctly compile both in dos and cygwin
> yet fails somehow on the first gcc compile
>
> 'arm-elf-gcc -I./ -c -fno-common -O3 -g main.c'
>
> To complicate things even more, in dos arm-elf-gcc can be found and
> executed returning 'no input files' so I know the path to the executable
> is working

But others are apparently not.  If a Cygwin app cannot load a DLL, it
returns an error code (53).  You can see this from within 'bash' by
typing 'echo $?' after a command that seems to have not run.  Running
'cygcheck arm-elf-gcc' should help you determine which DLL is missing DLL
when in CMD or Eclipse. But this all really points to that you're still
missing some path, since the DLL is found just fine within the Cygwin
environment.  So a closer inspection of your paths in the two environments
may be an easier way to find out what's missing from Windows.  Presumably,
it's just 'c:\Cygwin\bin'?

Holliston, MA 01746