Bash initialization w/cygwin-1.7 on NT4

Jerry DeLisle jvdelisle@verizon.net
Mon Jul 6 04:55:00 GMT 2009

Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 06, 2009 at 05:20:41AM +0100, Dave Korn wrote:
>> Jerry DeLisle wrote:
>>> I am making the switch to 1.7.  I started with a clean windows (nt4)
>>> environment and went through the usual run of setup-1.7 downloaded today.
>>>
>>> All appears fine, but bash does not get initialized.
>>>
>>> pwd is /usr/bin
>>>
>>> path is not set
>>>
>>> home directory is not created
>>>
>>> These are all taken care of nicely for the user with cygwin 1.5
>>>
>>> I think this is a bug unless I am missing something in the install process.
>> This is symptomatic of a problem preventing the postinstall scripts
>>from having run correctly, isn't it?  Have a look in your
>> /var/log/setup.log* files, and see what happened to
>> base-files-profile.sh.
>
> I can actually duplicate this problem on my NT4 virtual machine.
> Unfortunately, I won't have a lot of time to track this down next
> week but I'll get to it if no one else beats me to it.

I am running NT4 in VirtualBox.  In setup.log there are a series of invocations
of bash like this:

Running: D:\cygwin\bin\bash --norc --noprofile /etc/postinstall/somescript.sh
abnormal exit: exit code = 35584

This is on all the post install scripts.  I did a very clean install using the
previous version of bash and libreadline6 added to the installation.  Looking at
setup.log.full I see the exception STATUS_STACK_OVERFLOW in all cases.

Regards,

Jerry