Full 1.7 Install -> "Insufficient disk space to repair security descriptor at index $SII for file 9"

Mon Jul 6 03:54:00 GMT 2009

Dave Korn wrote:
> Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
>> Stephen M. Kenton wrote:
>
>>> While I was there I decided to try Cygwin 1.7 and I did a new install
>>> of everything. Shortly after it finished installing I got a strange
>>> return from a "find" command so I scheduled a scan disk and rebooted
>>> so it could run. There were 20GB free on disk, but I got a couple of
>>> messages (paraphrased) about "Insufficient disk space to repair
>>> security descriptor at index $SII for file 9" and index "$SDH for file9".

  This looks a _lot_ like http://support.microsoft.com/kb/327009:
"Chkdsk Finds Incorrect Security IDs After You Restore or Copy a Lot of Data"

  Running setup.exe and doing a full install sounds like restoring or copying
a lot of data to me.  That KB only mentions the problem arising on W2k; I
think you might need to tell MS that you can reproduce it on XP.

    cheers,
      DaveK