Full 1.7 Install -> "Insufficient disk space to repair security descriptor at index $SII for file 9"

Mon Jul 6 03:50:00 GMT 2009

Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
> Stephen M. Kenton wrote:

>> While I was there I decided to try Cygwin 1.7 and I did a new install
>> of everything. Shortly after it finished installing I got a strange
>> return from a "find" command so I scheduled a scan disk and rebooted
>> so it could run. There were 20GB free on disk, but I got a couple of
>> messages (paraphrased) about "Insufficient disk space to repair
>> security descriptor at index $SII for file 9" and index "$SDH for file9".

  Was the partition created and/or formatted from the Linux side, using
ntfstools for example, before windows was installed to it?  Or did you use the
format option in the windows installer?

> Sounds to me like it could be a hardware or file system issue which
> coincidentally you see surface after you install and run Cygwin.  Cygwin
> apps work in user space and can't crash Windows unless they happen to
> tickle an O/S bug or other external instability.

  Cygwin doesn't use raw block I/O to write corrupted disk block structures to
your HD, that's for sure.  But one thing it does do that's a bit unusual is to
create a hell of a lot of ACLs, compared to a standard windows installation
where most stuff doesn't have a custom ACL and just inherits from the
directory tree.  I wonder if for some reason this drive got formatted in a
funny way that didn't leave enough room for entries in the security descriptor
database special files?

    cheers,
      DaveK