popup consoles on Windows 7

Julio Costa costaju@gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 10:24:00 GMT 2009

On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 18:44, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 02, 2009 at 05:41:18PM +0100, Julio Costa wrote:
>>HKCU\Console\<argv[0]>\WindowPosition = 0x80008000,  where <argv[0]>
>>is the name of current command being launched
>>
>>Yes, I know, more klumsy workaround... I'm not happy with that also,
>>but at least avoids the console *window* flashing.
>>Alas, the ShowWindow stuff it's still needed for the taskbar icon :(
>
> You haven't programmed many multi-threaded, multi-process aware
> applications if you think that setting a registry key is going to work
> right.

No, I haven't - Damn, I've been discovered! :)
But now that you've mentioned it, I see your point.
I was just reporting a result from an observational experiment.
I even didn't done that with real code.
But the usefulness of this registry hack was limited, as I referred.

Oh well, back to the workbench :)

>>Why on Earth are we having this trouble to have an available console
>>all the time? Is it necessary to redirect the in/out streams? Is it
>>another thing?
>>I'm really trying to think 'out of the box', because it could be the
>>case that there is another implementation path that doesn't really
>>need consoles at all...
>
> Yeah, what were we thinking?  We went out of our way to set up a hidden
> console, expending considerable effort to do so when they really weren't
> needed.

Did I wrote something like that? Well, YOU did.

> How about if you think within the box and do a google search rather than
> suggesting that we didn't know what we were doing?

Nice way to help others to help you.
Even if they are waay below in the "mighty coders scale", I don't
think that's a reason to be rude. Not that it is a novelty, I've been
following this mailing list for almost a year now.

You know, you shouldn't take everything that is asked in this list as
a criticism.
I've probably didn't asked in the best way either, but you should have
a much more flexible "filter" because not everyone on this list is
English native. So, maybe there is a little language barrier that
distorted the meaning I was trying to give the question.

I just asked to clarify was a need (da console) expressed in various
places, either in cygwin, in mintty, and probably many others, but
found no explanation on this need, beside what was already said in
this very thread. That only tell me that "it is needed".

Let me rephrase that in three questions:
"What happens if we launch commands without a console created?"
"What are the type of programs that really need that console?"
"Is it possible to identify them prior to launch them?"