environment problems mixing mintty and xterm

Andy Koppe andy.koppe@gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 22:57:00 GMT 2009

Lester Ingber wrote:
> However, if I run mintty from my xterm window I have some problems.
>
> For example, say I have open xterm (from startxwin.csh) with
> xterm +tb -j -sb -geometry 80x84-6+0 &
> this sets LINES set to 84.
>
> If I have set up .minttyrc with
> Rows=100
> then after I go to my mintty window and back to my xterm, my xterm window
> is messed up, e.g., top rows under `less` are off the screen.
>
> There is no such problem, when running xterm, if I open an additional
> mintty window as a Windows shortcut since it seems to open independently
> -- without taking on the environment variables in my xterm window.

Thanks for the problem report, although I'd prefer to get these via the
issue tracker at http://code.google.com/p/mintty/issues/ .

Unfortunately I haven't been able to reproduce the problem. A Unix
process only receives copies of its parent's environment variables and
it cannot change the originals, so the problem isn't caused that way.

Window size changes are signalled to the child process through a call to
ioctl() on the child's pseudo terminal (pty), which triggers a SIGWINCH
signal in any processes controlled by that pty. Perhaps something is
going awry there.

Does the LINES variable in the xterm change immediately after invoking
mintty, when you change mintty's size, or only after exiting it? What
command line are you invoking mintty with?

Andy