fetchmail pops up console windows

Gary Johnson garyjohn@spocom.com
Wed Jan 14 18:05:00 GMT 2009

On 2009-01-14, Jason Tishler wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 02:04:27PM -0800, Gary Johnson wrote:
> > So how does one set that right?
>
> Besides using editrights as suggested by Larry, you can also use the
> "Local Security Settings" MMC console on Windows 2000 or later:
>
>     1. start/Programs/Administrative Tools/Local Security Policy
>     2. start/Run.../secpol.msc

Thanks, but I don't seem to have that on this system, Windows XP
Home Edition version 5.1 SP3.  The Run dialog reports that Windows
can't find secpol.msc; "locate secpol" doesn't return anything; I
have no "Administrative Tools" item in the Start/Programs list; the
Administrative Tools item in the Control Panel lists only

    Component Services
    Computer Management
    Data Sources (ODBC)
    Event Viewer
    Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Configuration
    Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Wizards
    Performance
    Services

After running "cygrunsrv --install fetchmail ..." again I found
fetchmail in the list of Services, but I didn't see anything in its
Properties dialog that looked like a security setting.  I tried
changing the "This account" name in the Log On tab to make sure it
was something Windows liked, but its search tool gave me the same
account name as cygrunsrv had installed.  I tried starting fetchmail
from that dialog and got the same error message as before.

Regards,
Gary