Octave has stopped running for me - no error msg

Fri Jan 9 21:32:00 GMT 2009

  Argh.  http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#3PP alert!

> After: When I run octave, either from a bash shell or an xterm window, it
> just thinks for a couple of seconds and then gives me another prompt - if
> octave ran, it quit right away.  There is no error message or other
> indication of what went wrong.  Other /usr/bin executables run just fine.

  Standard shell advice: use "echo $?" to check the exit status if there's no
error message.

> I've tried: I've rebooted my computer.  I've "reinstall"ed octave from
> Setup.exe.  I've uninstalled octave, then installed it again.  I've
> uninstalled ALL of cygwin, then installed it again with just the cygwin
> base and octave (no X or other packages).  In all cases the behavior is the
> same.
>
> I'm not a linux or cygwin expert and don't really know where to start
> debugging this.  I'm not sure if this is a problem with cygwin or octave.

  It's a problem with having multiple clashing cygwin installations at the
same time.  You've probably got two versions of the cygwin DLL in your PATH at
once, and I see that GnuARM ships with libiconv/libintl as well, which also
might be interfering.

  We'll need to see your cygcheck output, as described at
http://cygwin.com/problems.html (please pay special attention to the request
to send the .out file as an attachment rather than inline text, it makes a
nasty mess in the archives if you paste it into the body of your email!)

    cheers,
      DaveK