New "ldd" binary in snapshot and eventually in release

Fri Jan 9 17:47:00 GMT 2009

On Fri, Jan 09, 2009 at 12:05:45PM -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>Last night, after seeing a request on irc, I did something that I've
>been meaning to do for many years - I wrote an "ldd" for Cygwin.
>
>The tricky part about writing ldd is getting it to display the load
>addresses of dlls that a program uses.  I accomplished that by running
>the program up to its entry point, displaying the list of loaded dlls
>and their load addresses, and then terminating the process.
>
>I haven't verified this but ldd should work on any windows program.  ldd
>itself is a cygwin program but the programs it inspects don't have to
>be.  The output is similar to but not identical linux.  The paths that
>it displays are in /cygwin/format.
>
>Btw, the techniques that I used may only work on Windows XP and above.
>I haven't confirmed that either.
>
>I haven't updated the documentation to include ldd yet but I expect to
>do that over the weekend.

Meant to add a link to a man page for ldd for people who don't know what
it is:

http://linux.about.com/library/cmd/blcmdl1_ldd.htm

Only the --help and --version options are implemented in the version
that I wrote last night.

cgf