cygwin 1.7.0-40: Socket operation on non-socket

Steffen Sledz sledz@zone42.org
Thu Feb 12 13:32:00 GMT 2009

Corinna Vinschen schrieb:
> You already sent this message, why don't you stick to the original
> thread?

Because it does not seems to be a problem with bind, rsync, ssh or any other program but with cygwin and/or the underlying OS itself. So i wanted to collect this into one thread.

> Did you check for http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#BLODA?  See this in your
> cygcheck output:
>
>> Potential app conflicts:
>>
>> ByteMobile laptop optimization client
>> Detected: Named file.

I've uninstalled the Vodafone Connection Manager where ByteMobile was part of, but the problem remains without ByteMobile (see new cygcheck2.out attachment).  :(

I've uninstalled Panda too (thanx to my network admin). But this also does not solve the problem.  :(

> Also, see this very old reply
> http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2004-09/msg00444.html and the followup
> http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2004-09/msg00458.html to this very old
> thread you're referring to
>>  <http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2004-09/msg00391.html>
> As well as
> http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2008-01/msg00342.html

I've read them again and again, but could not find any solution for my case.

> Anyway, works for me.  This error message is never generated
> explicitely by Cygwin, it's always a return code from a Winsock
> function.  Whatever the reason is on your machine, it's not under the
> control of Cygwin, apparently.

Hmmmm? That's a pity. But as seen in the mailing lists i'm not the only one with such problems. May be there is generic workaround for this? Or a guide line how to identify the dodgy app?

> If you really can't nail down the reason, we need a reproducible testcase,
> preferrably in plain C source code.  The above one is not reproducible.

I'll try my very best. But some hints from the cygwin core team would be really helpful.

Steffen