1.5.25: "changed dev/ino" error with shared drives

Sun Feb 8 21:14:00 GMT 2009

Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
> Correa, Wagner wrote:
>>> directories in shared

>>> Given the different format of the message and the abundance of
>>> alternate but like-named tools on your machine, I have to wonder if
>>> you're getting this message from Cygwin's 'rm'.

   If you run strings on Cygwin's /bin/rm, you'll see it uses the exact same
message these days.

>>>  Are you?

   That notwithstanding, it would be a very good idea to clean out the PATH so
that only one set of unix tools are in play at a time.  I stopped counting at
about six or seven differing and potentially incompatible toolsets
simultaneously available...

>> I think so:
>> $ which rm
>> /usr/bin/rm
>>
>> But how can I be sure?
>
> Invoke '/usr/bin/rm' directly.  If you still see a problem, we need
> to see the permissions of the directory you're working with ('ls -l'
> and 'getfacl') and its contents as well as the input and results you
> get.  Perhaps stracing might be necessary as well but I'll hold off
> asking for that right now.  Let's see if the above helps you find the
> problem.

   What would also be interesting would be to see the getvolinfo output for
the drive(s) in question.  Wagner, if you run these two commands:

wget 'http://tinyurl.com/cygwin-getvolinfo' -O getVolInfo.c
gcc getVolInfo.c -lntdll -o getVolInfo

and then "./getVolInfo Z:" - or whichever network drive letter(s) give you the
problem - we'll know more about how you're connected.  (Is it a NetApp?)

[ FYI, and as the wget output would show you anyway, the tinyurl leads to
http://sourceware.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/csih/cygwin/getVolInfo.c?cvsroot=cygwin-apps
but I figured that was likely to get wrapped... ]

     cheers,
       DaveK