/bin & /usr/bin

Lee D. Rothstein l1ee057@veritech.com
Sat Feb 7 20:24:00 GMT 2009

Peter Rosin wrote:

 > Den 2009-02-07 00:37 skrev Lee D.Rothstein:

 >>  >>
 >>  >> "First, PATH must include the Windows path of the /bin, where
typically
 >>  >>  both mintty.exe and cygwin1.dll' will be found. Remember, this
is a"

 >> Here, I think I have the path right, since, the Windows equivalent
of '/bin'
 >> is 'c:\Cygwin\bin', which means I don't understand the following comment
 >> at all:

 > My (minor) point was that from the mintty point of view, the fact
 > that /bin and /usr/bin are equivalent is a coincidence - it's a
 > Cygwin quirk. Since mintty installs in /usr/bin,

Not on my Vista 64b System! Everything is in /bin, (c:\_r\bin) NOTHING is
in /usr/bin. (c:\_r\usr\bin). I thought, I had remembered that, in prior
systems almost the reverse was true, but I checked before I wrote the last
reply (and checked again, just now).

As everyone has implied, all items in /bin, are accessible through /usr/bin.

Is my system different? Why? Pilot error?