Problems with X surfaced recently

Linda Walsh cygwin@tlinx.org
Fri Feb 6 00:29:00 GMT 2009

I updated my Cygwin software about 2 weeks ago but didn't try
out the X-server.

I mostly use the shell tools which seemed fine.  But today I noticed
some problems in my X-based utils -- first from Linux-based
computers displaying onto my cygwin-box, and 2nd a slightly
different error when trying run X-utils locally.

I looked through the recent announcements/postings and saw the I
the ANNOUNCEMENTS about setup and X problems and updated everything
to the latest.

I'm still having problems.

The main and most serious problem for me is that remote X
apps and the local X-version of rxvt, open X-display windows
on the local cygwin-box, BUT allow no keyboard input.

I also found that Local X-apps, Xterm and Xmined (randomly
chosen x-app) fail with (displayed in local cmd-BASH window):

Warning: Cannot convert string
"-adobe-helvetica-bold-r-normal--*-120-*-*-*-*-iso8859-*" to type FontStruct
Warning: Unable to load any usable ISO8859 font
Warning: Unable to load any usable ISO8859 font
Error: Aborting: no font found

FYI: If I start the non-X version of rxvt, I get double-wide
spacing of characters -- as if it is having some unicode
spacing problem.

Attached is output of cygcheck.txt.

It claims I have multiple cygwin1.dll's in path, but they from multiple
instances of /bin and/or /usr/bin in path (ie. same DLL).