1.7.1: Does 'chere' work with Vista 64b? Can't tell by me.

Lee D. Rothstein l1ee057@veritech.com
Thu Dec 31 20:55:00 GMT 2009

Dave wrote:

 > Lee D. Rothstein wrote:

 >>  > It's been a while since I've had to look at chere. Bottom line -
there
 >>  > haven't been any previous reports of failures on Vista 64 bit (and I
 >>  > don't have a 64-bit system available to me).

 >> How many of these?:

 >>   * Vista, 64 bit
 >>   * Root not at c:\Cygwin
 >>   * Mintty is terminal
 >>   * Bash is shell
 >>   * Not in any way using 'Cygin.bat' as the "invoker"

 > Err, none? :)

 > There might be problems, but this is the first report I've seen.

 >>  > Can you provide the output of `chere -r`, and the chere command
you've
 >>  > run most recently. That'll allow me to diagnose what it's tried
to do.

 >> Attached!

 >> Since, I had uninstalled 'chere', I reinstalled it, Bash run as
 >> Administrator:

 >> $ chere -i -a -n -e "Mintty Bash" -t mintty -o \
 >>   "--icon=c:\_0\cygicons-hippo-vista-0.dll,10 -"

 > So chere has managed to set the keys, and read them back fine. What
 > happens when you run the following command in cmd (all one line)?

 > C:\_0\bin\mintty.exe --icon=c:\_0\cygicons-hippo-vista-0.dll,10 - -e
 > /bin/xhere /bin/bash.exe "c:\Program Files"

I think 'mintty'/'bash' window flashes open and closed. Menu item
for Cygwin remanined cygwin_bash. Command doesn't work in exactly
the same way as before.

 >> If you're out of ideas, might you give me some clues to look for
 >> bad keys in the registry?

 > Check HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Shell\cygwin_bash. It's value should
 > be the context menu item text, "Mintty Bash"

Value was null.

 > It should have one subkey, command, whose value is the command to run
 > "c:\_0\bin\mintty ...".

Value was null.

<http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-command-prompt-here-in-windows-vista/>
 > Do any of the other suggestions in the comments bring up the command
 > prompt for you?

The Only thing that the HowToGeek article showed, was how to get a
momentary <SHIFT><right click> menu item for 'cmd'. Yes, this
works on my system, including opening the 'cmd' window.

However, your registry key comments were helpful.  Okay, now
we're gettin' somewhere. Where? You tell me.

When I 'regedit'ed the registry with what you specified in the
above paragraphs, using "Mintty_Bash" &:

  C:\_0\bin\mintty.exe --icon=c:\_0\cygicons-hippo-vista-0.dll,10 -

the 'mintty'/'bash' window opens, but not to the folder indicated.