1.7.1: Does 'chere' work with Vista 64b? Can't tell by me.

Mon Dec 28 22:14:00 GMT 2009

On 12/28/2009 04:51 PM, Lee D. Rothstein wrote:
> Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
>> On 12/26/2009 12:50 PM, Lee Rothstein wrote:
>>> See here, Chere-oes: ;-)
>>>
>>> I've tried all manner of command option permutations with 'chere'
>>> and can't get it to work -- as it has in the past.
>>>
>>> Here's my latest attempt:
>>>
>>> $ chere -i -a -n -e "Bitte Bash Bei" -t mintty -o \
>>> "--icon=c:\_0\cygicons-hippo-vista-0.dll,10 -"
>>> Shell defaulting to bash defined for lr
>>>
>>> First, it doesn't work, so that when I right-click on a directory
>>> and select the 'chere' option, I get the following text box
>>> message:
>>>
>>> This file does not have a program associated with it for
>>> performing thia action. Create an association in the Set
>>> Associations control panel.
>>>
>>> Second, no matter what menu expression (argument to '-e'), I give
>>> it, it always ends up being:
>>>
>>> "cygwin_bash"
>>>
>>> Fortumately, 'chere -u' seems to work.
>>>
>>> Notes:
>>>
>>> 1.
>>>
>>> $ cygcheck -c chere
>>> Cygwin Package Information
>>> Package Version Status
>>> chere 1.1-1 OK
>>>
>>> 2. My Windows System PATH includes '/bin' in Windows format.
>>>
>>> 3. I always run the 'chere' command in an "as Administrator" window.
>>>
>>> 4. The above install command is only one of tens of option
>>> permutations I've tried, all chere-less-Lee.
>>>
>>> Clearly, I have nothing to cheere about! ;-)
>>>
>>> Clues?
>>
>> I've always found 'chere -i' works for me. I'd also recommend getting
>> rid of
>> 'c:\_0\local\Scripts\test'.
>>
> no such file!

Your cygcheck output thinks there is:

   Found: C:\_0\bin\test.exe
   Warning: C:\_0\local\Scripts\test hides C:\_0\bin\test.exe
   Found: C:\_0\bin\test.exe
   Warning: C:\_0\local\Scripts\test hides C:\_0\bin\test.exe
   Not Found: test

Someone is confused here.  Based on cygcheck's and your conflicting
statements, I can certainly say I am.

> Larry, et al.,
>
> As my initial message indicates 'chere -i', run as Administrator results
> in a non-working 'chere' install with the additional
> weird properties indicated.

OK, I only traced back as far as
<http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2009-12/msg00868.html>,
which didn't specifically mention the simple 'chere -i' variant.  So I
wanted to offer
that as an incentive to try it if you hadn't.

> Besides I want Mintty and Bash as the window, not the console.

I wasn't recommending 'chere -i' over your preferred configuration.  I was just
suggesting what I had success with in the past and that starting with the
simple is usually a good way to troubleshoot problems.

> Are you running Vista 64bit? If not, I suspect the registry keys set in
> Vista 64 are not correct as set by 'chere'.

No, actually I'm not, so if you're sure it's a Vista 64bit thing, then that
narrows
the focus and those affected.  The closest I have is Windows 7 x64 but I can't
experiment at the moment with it since it requires a reboot.

Holliston, MA 01746