1.7.1: Does 'chere' work with Vista 64b? Can't tell by me.

Lee Rothstein lee@veritech.com
Sat Dec 26 17:52:00 GMT 2009

See here, Chere-oes: ;-)

I've tried all manner of command option permutations with 'chere'
and can't get it to work -- as it has in the past.

Here's my latest attempt:

  $ chere -i -a -n -e "Bitte Bash Bei" -t mintty -o \
        "--icon=c:\_0\cygicons-hippo-vista-0.dll,10 -"
  Shell defaulting to bash defined for lr

First, it doesn't work, so that when I right-click on a directory
and select the 'chere'  option, I get the following text box
message:

  This file does not have a program associated with it for
  performing thia action. Create an association in the Set
  Associations control panel.

Second, no matter what menu expression (argument to '-e'), I give
it, it always ends up being:

  "cygwin_bash"

Fortumately, 'chere -u' seems to work.

Notes:

  1.

  $ cygcheck -c chere
  Cygwin Package Information
  Package              Version        Status
  chere                1.1-1          OK

  2. My Windows System PATH includes '/bin' in Windows format.

  3. I always run the 'chere' command in an "as Administrator" window.

  4. The above install command is only one of tens of option
     permutations I've tried, all chere-less-Lee.

Clearly, I have nothing to cheere about! ;-)

Clues?

Lee

P.S. cygcheck output attached