putty isn't displaying correctly with 1.7

Eliot Moss moss@cs.umass.edu
Sat Dec 26 04:27:00 GMT 2009

On 12/25/2009 10:58 PM, Wes S wrote:
> Below is excerpt from man file on touch.  Highlighted text is showing
> strange characters when I use putty to ssh in.  It was working fine
> before the 1.7 upgrade.
>
> How do I fix this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Wes
>

>         âd, ââdate=STRING
>                parse STRING and use it instead of current time
>
>         âf     (ignored)
>
>         âm     change only the modification time
>
>         âr, ââreference=FILE
>                use this fileâs times instead of current time
>
>         ât STAMP
>                use [[CC]YY]MMDDhhmm[.ss] instead of current time
>
>         ââtime=WORD
>                change the specified time: WORD is access, atime, or use: equivâ
>                alent to âa WORD is modify or mtime: equivalent to âm
>
>         ââhelp display this help and exit

Those look like "international" characters to me, i.e., UTF or some
such. man (actually, the formatting tool behind it) likes to generate
these for hyphens. In the past, we had LANG=C and it had no choice;
now with LANG=en_US.UTF-8 or LANG=C.UTF-8 it generates them. While
it is somewhat brain-damaged to do so, I found the "fix" to be to
set LANG=C .... YMMV -- Eliot Moss