HEADSUP: Check mirror carefully when updating your 1.7 installation

Andy Koppe andy.koppe@gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 15:17:00 GMT 2009

2009/12/23 Christopher Faylor:
> On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 12:37:31PM +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>>Hi,
>>
>>I just found an unfortunate side-effect of the move of the Cygwin 1.7
>>release area.  If you use the new setup.exe for Cygwin 1.7 on a mirror
>>which hasn't catched up with the update yet, you are in danger to
>>overwrite your 1.7 installation with a Cygwin 1.5.25-based installation.
>
> Shouldn't you get a warning when you use a mirror that is no longer listed?
>
> According to the source, you should see this message:
>
>  One or more mirrors you have selected is/are not on the
>  list of official Cygwin mirrors any more.
>  It/They may be out of date or missing some packages.
>  This affects the following mirror(s):

I did get that message on one machine, which I think was set to the
tu-dresden mirror, but not on another a few hours later that was set
to www.mirrorservice.org. The latter looked like it was going to
downgrade to 1.5 in the 'partial' package view. I didn't press Next to
try.

Andy