1.7: mintty 5.5.1 refuses to take hippos seriously ;-(

Chris Sutcliffe ir0nh34d@gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 12:20:00 GMT 2009

>> Note to everyone, including Andy, the ICO file worked until Mintty v0.5.4.
>> And, all my other ICO files seem to work with Mintty v0.5.5, including an
>> earlier one, I had gerri-rigged.
>
> Strange. I wonder what's different about the hippo. I might have a
> look at implementing a fallback from 0.5.5's ExtractIcon call to
> 0.5.4's LoadImage.

If a fallback to LoadImage is added, keep in mind that LoadImage will
work with .ico files only.  AFAIK the issue with the hippo.ico file
had something to do with the compression of the PNG file used to
create the .ico file and the the fact that Vista is generally anal
retentive regarding compressed files.  As a result, as Chuck found,
'hiding' the icon in a DLL bypassed Vista's qualms about accessing an
icon that contained a compressed image.

Chris

--
Chris Sutcliffe