cygwin install fails with cygbase mismatch during install

Sun Dec 13 22:21:00 GMT 2009

On 12/11/2009 07:47 PM, donz wrote:

> This machine used to run cygwin fine till I upgraded to WinXP (a few months
> ago).
>
> Some history.  The machine started its life as a well equipped Win95
> machine.  It has been modified and upgraded, to the point that the only
> thing left from the original machine is the case and a 5-1/2" floppy drive
> (no longer connected).
>
> I have been able to run cygwin and its x-windows relatives since Win98.
> Over the years, I upgraded to Win2K, installed many new motherboards and
> processors, replaced/added hdd's with no impact on cygwin.  A few months ago
> I upgraded to WinXP (I don't like to rush into things :-)).  At that time,
> the version of cygwin that I had installed started behaving strangely -
> commands would randomly crash upon invocation, x windows would hang - things
> that had not happened over the past 10 years or so.  I decided it was time
> to upgrade cygwin.
>
> That is when the fun started.  I downloaded the latest version of setup.exe,
> did an install (from ftp at georgia tech) and everything just stopped
> working, including some apps that used cygwin1.dll.
>
> To make a long story short, I deleted EVERYTHING associated with cygwin from
> all of the hdd's on the system, edited the registry to remove all
> occurrences of anything to do with cygwin, cygnus, etc. and did my best to
> make this a virgin system to cygwin.
>
> I reloaded setup.exe, installed the plain vanilla (default) version (from
> University of Michigan if I recall correctly) and tried it out.  No luck.
>
> I repeated the process (deleting all files, cleaning the registry, etc) then
> downloaded form Georgia Tech again.  Failure.  After much web searching I
> found the diagnostics and logs I would need to trace the problem.
> Interestingly, from the middle to the end of setup.log.full, was 600KB of
> "*** fatal error - cygheap base mismatch detected - 0xAF88E0/0xAA88E0."
>
> Just to make sure, I repeated the process again (I am a glutton for
> punishment) making sure that I did not issue any cygwin commands, checked
> the log immediately after setup finished, and saw the same thing.  I also
> ran "cygcheck -s -v -r>  cygcheck.out" (attached).
>
> The error reporting how-to recommended that I attach cygcheck.out but made
> no mention of setup.log.full (which is rather large) so I did not attach
> that file.
>
> I really can't reformat and restart with a clean WinXP installation, there
> is so much history on this machine that restoring from backups (yes I have
> them) would not work - I can't find some of the original application
> installation disks.
>
> Can anyone help me get cygwin installed?

Sounds like one of three things to me:

   1. <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#BLODA>
   2. a conflicting installation of cygwin1.dll by a
<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#3PP>

> donz http://old.nabble.com/file/p26753764/cygcheck.out cygcheck.out

This confirms the post-install scripts haven't run.  I'd suggest looking at
your
setup.log.full to see if you can get a hint as to why that is, assuming one of
the above possibilities isn't the problem.

Holliston, MA 01746