Need help building emacs with system malloc

Wed Dec 9 16:15:00 GMT 2009

Ken Brown wrote:

> gcc    -o temacs ecrt0.o dispnew.o frame.o scroll.o xdisp.o menu.o
> window.o charset.o coding.o category.o ccl.o character.o chartab.o cm.o
> term.o terminal.o xfaces.o    emacs.o keyboard.o macros.o keymap.o
> sysdep.o buffer.o filelock.o insdel.o marker.o minibuf.o fileio.o
> dired.o filemode.o cmds.o casetab.o casefiddle.o indent.o search.o
> regex.o undo.o alloc.o data.o doc.o editfns.o callint.o eval.o
> floatfns.o fns.o font.o print.o lread.o syntax.o unexcw.o bytecode.o
> process.o callproc.o region-cache.o sound.o atimer.o doprnt.o strftime.o
> intervals.o textprop.o composite.o md5.o   sheap.o  terminfo.o
> lastfile.o vm-limit.o  getloadavg.o       -lcurses -lg   `gcc
> -print-libgcc-file-name` -lm -lc `gcc -print-libgcc-file-name`
> vm-limit.o:vm-limit.c:(.text+0x17): undefined reference to
> `___after_morecore_hook'
> vm-limit.o:vm-limit.c:(.text+0x6c): undefined reference to `___morecore'
>
> Is this one of those situations where the libraries are listed in the
> wrong order in the gcc command?  Or is there something else going on?

  The morecore stuff is private internal stuff in the cygwin dll, it certainly
shouldn't be ending up in an emacs .o file.  How did it get there?  It's not
declared in any of the public headers that I can find.

  And, why are you bothering to specify the system libs at all?  You're using
the gcc driver to link, it'll do all that for you automatically (and
correctly) if you just leave them out; you shouldn't need anything but
-lcurses out of that lot.  You'll definitely break linking against the shared
libgcc by putting the static archive in the list of user libraries like that.

    cheers,
      DaveK