Unable to use cpan

Andrew DeFaria Andrew@DeFaria.com
Thu Aug 20 16:07:00 GMT 2009

David Christensen wrote:
> My guess is that it is a file system ownership/ permission issue.  Vista is more picky than XP.  Take a look at all the folders down to /home/p6258c/.cpan/sources/modules/ with Windows Explorer -> Properties -> Security and Bash 'ls -l'.  If something looks strange, you might be able to fix it with Windows Explorer, 'chmod', and/or 'chown'.

Huh? It's not a permissions problem, it's a file naming problem.
Removing the /home/p6258c/.cpan/modules to make this simpler, the error
message is saying it is unable to rename 03modlist.data.*gz*.tmp3996
because there is no such file or directory. The error message is right -
there is no file by that name. There is, however, a file by the name of
03modlist.data.tmp3669.*gz*. Note the placement of the letters "gz" -
highlighted by surrounding it with "*"'s (that are not in the filename
nor the error message). Of course mv will not work when you use the
wrong file name. The question is why is cpan(1) using the wrong file
name? Or is it ncftpget which gets it wrong? I don't know. All I know is
that it just doesn't work...
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
The obituaries in the newspaper prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that