No etc/passwd (was) Re: (everything!) command not found

Wed Aug 19 02:24:00 GMT 2009

On 8/18/2009 9:58 PM, DY wrote:
> I've got Windows Defender on here - it came with the computer and
> doesn't show up under the Program Files, so I'm not sure that it's
> uninstallable.

In Vista, it is not.  But it can be turned off.  Here's one relevant
reference:

<http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2008/02/14/how-to-disable-uninstall-or-remove-windows-defender-in-vista/>

That said, I've just recently installed Cygwin (1.7) on Windows 7 and had
no issue running it after installation, even with Defender on.  Defender
may not be the offender it once was. ;-)  But now you should be able to
try it for yourself and decide.

> I also have AVG on here, which isn't in the list of BLODA programs, but is
> an antivirus program. That was installed after cygwin, and I can remove it
> if it is a problem.

It hasn't been reported as a problem that I'm aware of.  You can always
try, since "past performance is not an indicator of future returns." One
might think I work for Fidelity or something after a comment like that. ;-)

> I'm fine with reinstalling with a beta version - clearly I'm not having
> tons of
> success with the current version. Is there anything I can do about Windows
> Defender? I can always download the cygwin setup program, then reboot
> and start up windows in diagnostic startup mode (which only loads the
> essential devices), install cygwin, then reboot in normal mode - would that
> work? Is there a better solution?

I don't see why it wouldn't... if BLODA is your problem.

> THANKS SO MUCH! I've been going nuts for about 2 weeks now. -Debra

Yes, setting up new machines can be at least as infuriating as trying to
keep old ones going. ;-)

--
Larry