[ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: run-1.1.11-1

Mon Aug 17 22:40:00 GMT 2009

Charles Wilson wrote:

> If we already HAVE true console handles, then we shouldn't FreeConsole
> and try to recreate our own...

OK, how about this?  Seems to work on Vista(cyg1.5, cyg1.7, mingw) x
gui/cui/bat.

The basic idea is to try and re-use whatever console is available, if
any, when run is started.  If this is the invisible console created by
cygwin as part of process startup, great. If it is inherited from the
calling window, fine.  But never try to explicitly hide the console if
it already exists (that way, you can call 'run foo' from a cmd box
without it disappearing on you).

Also, if creating a new console, then do it in the parent (run) process
and hide it there -- even for W7, by using the message-only trick --
instead of attaching to the child's console and manipulating it after
the fact.

I *think* this slight refactoring will allow us to add any additional
tweaks needed by W7 with only small, localized changes, so I'm hopeful
that this patch can actual be checked in even if it is not perfect.

--
Chuck