No etc/passwd (was) Re: (everything!) command not found

DY yarringt@agora-net.com
Sun Aug 16 17:20:00 GMT 2009

Oh, I'm sorry, I meant that the directory my prompt defaults to.  I
wanted the directory my
prompt defaulted to to be my home directory.  When I installed cygwin
last time the
default directory was my home directory, and the prompt showed the
directory I was
currently in (e.g., my prompt looked like: /home/yarringt$).  Now I get
as a prompt bash-3.2$
and the directory it starts in is c:/cygwin.

I guess my biggest fear is that cygwin is not installed properly, so
when I try to install and
run perl scripts they won't work.  More specifically I want to make sure
my paths are
set properly, and I would actually like it if I could make it so when I
enter cygwin I default
to my home directory.   I would also like to know if having a passwd and
a profile are
necessary, and, if so, what should they look like.

Less specifically, why didn't cygwin's set up automatically create a
passwd and a profile
for me when it does for everyone else and what does that indicate about
cygwin's being
installed properly.

Thanks!
-Debra